Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trying Something New...Resin Jewelry!

I've decided to try making resin jewelry! I love how quirky the pieces are and I also love the idea of embedding practically anything in the resin to be preserved forever! I tried to make a few pieces last year but it was one disastrous FAIL after another. So after making cloudy piece after cloudy piece, I gave up and put my resin away. It wasn't until my mom was looking for something a few weeks ago that she found my resin and molds and it sparked my interested again so I tried to give it another go.
Oddly enough, it was on my second attempt that I realized it was actually the mold release that was making each and every one of my pieces come out cloudy in some spots. Plus, I didn't have my hardener/resin mixture exactly evenly measured so everything was turning out sticky. Unfortunately, when you don't get the resin mixed properly, you're wasting a good chunk of money (depending on your brand, I use Castin' Craft) on failed batches of resin and hardener. So needless to say, it makes me wince every time something comes out less than perfect. *Fingers crossed* that I have it figured out now! Here's a little progress timeline:

Here was the first batch, before I realized the mold release was making them cloudy...



Then the second, no mold release, trying out separate layers of glitter with the sticker in it's own layer in the front!





And third...trying transparent color resin dye...another thing that kills me to waste..too much and the resin will not fully cure, but turn out flexible instead. Too little and the color is barely visible. These turned out great!





And just a few of my latest! I actually colored a couple with just a touch of tempera paint to make them opaque and did more layers of glitter on the others since I'm a sparkle girl. I already put necklace findings on the rectangular ones and a ring back on the green glitter one. LOVE them, may list them soon. Or not. ;)





Any thoughts?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you are doing a great job with the resin. I have done some resin but not the experimenting like you have.

Great work and so creative!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieStarJewels

Hali said...

wow, thats great. I really want to make resin jewerly. I have searched for different ways of making resin jewerly. Some day I will make some by myself.

KilaRohner.com said...

Like it! I love the "framing" you did of the images of the last two. Green is my favorite color so love the ring too.

Heather said...

I think they look good ritzee! I don't know a lot about resin and how well it does on etsy, but your pieces look cute! i especially like the cupcakes and the ice cream cone :)

Katherine said...

Ah, the love/hate relationship with resin. I have it too, but I'm addicted! Give it some more time. You will learn just as much from your mistakes!

BKD Signature said...

So cute! I've always wanted to try doing it. One of these days.... It's on my long list! :)

notoriousliz said...

Ooh I Loooove it!!!

Ritzee Rebel said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm really having fun with them this time since I've gotten better at them. I want to try more colors, the colored pieces are some of my favorites to make!

Unknown said...

Very cool! Looks like they're getting better & better! Keep playing, I just may buy some!! (Says the jewelry maker who loves to collect all things for jewelry!) 8-)

Ritzee Rebel said...

Thanks, Trish, I will! Your make great stuff yourself!